Dramatically hopping from Task 20 before it explodes in an enormous Hollywood cliché explosion, I arrive at Task 21, which is all about myself. Egads!
Well it's about time to talk about my personal goals and aspirations, which I might have mentioned previously, but I can't remember that far back. Here I go again then...
Firstly, you'll have to forgive the cliché-ness of the beginning, which is the same for every single artist in the world, pretty much. I begun drawing when I was but a wee lad, not really sure how old I was, but I enjoyed destroying paper with crayon.
Shortly thereafter I was playing videogames, and it didn't take long to start wondering if they'd let me draw those 2D sprites someday, so I could make my own game as such.
Fortunately at that point, I locked on target to that job. I had no idea how to get there, I didn't really think of the future, but I was definitely going to become an artist working in the games industry. Back then, the whole industry was this misty, shrouded tornado that flung out videogames, but offered no window into it. I'd only peeked into Apogee's office thanks to some goodies on the Rise of the Triad CD version (And that was a great game!). I liked what I saw (Unfortunately of course, it's completely and utterly different to today).
In any case, my road was set, and as I went through school and such, I actively sought out how to get to where I wanted to be. Within a short space of time, the road was ready and I could follow it all the way to my destination, all that's required is hard graft.
But the road only takes me to the destination, once there I'm really not sure about what I'll do. I suppose the Games Industry is one of those that can change a lot, and what I seek more than anything else is experience within it. Blitz Games welcomed me into their house and home based on my level of work, which is very nice of them. I guess I'll see what I end up doing company-wise after university is finished and I've learned what I need to know.
Eventually of course, after my artistic skill has reached a high standard and my experience of the industry is sufficient, I'd love to take on art direction and create a world from somebody's idea. That, if done successfully, sounds like one of the most rewarding things you can do. I can't imagine what kind of standard games will be up to by then, graphically and gameplay-wise, but I think the future's good!
In any case, one step per day is fine at the moment. I enjoy increasing my skills, learning something new and also learning from others. It looks like a good 'ol industry at heart, and it's only a matter of time before I'm thrown out into it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment