On the other hand there was nothing overly special about it, playing against other people was the same as anything and before long I stopped. I ditched online gaming and just concentrated on Flash movies, drawing, making little bits of music and all other manner of fun things.
This has been the case until recently, as I've just delved into the much more developed world of online gaming again, the first case being Battlefield 2142.
I've always run a mile at the thought of playing Battlefield games online, no offence to any individual player, but the overall collective has that terrible stereotype of being rude and mean and they'd probably shoot your grandma from the back of their dune buggy if they got half the chance.
Luckily stereotypes always turn out to be wrong, and I've been having a heck of a time with 2142. I can even overlook the taint of EA to enjoy it!
The community's nice, or at least, it's quiet from a casual player's point of view. People play as they should, nothing too annoying happens, it's usually a good and fair game. I really can't complain, it's pretty good. What makes it even better is the ranking system, where a point in game, be that a kill, a heal, a revive (of a fallen team mate), a resupply or something of that nature counts towards your overall rank.
In the same way that online RPGs have experience, Battlefield has ranks, but it's a lot less taxing and annoying as you can usually achieve a new one quickly. But what's the point of a rank? Well with each promotion you gain one unlock point, which allows you to purchase a new gadget or weapon to equip on your character and take out into the fight.
Such things include a temporary invisibility system, a deployable energy barrier to hide behind, grenades, and my favourite, a very mean and high powered sniper rifle.
Without unlockable extras, the game would be lacking in a way I can't think up the words to describe at the moment. Lest to say, they're the carrots on the end of the stick.
What's a bit scary is that this approach can lead to addiction, and when you look at the number of points some players have, it's baffling. The top one at the moment is 226,966 and the game's only been out about 5-6 months. If we say that 5 months = 150 days, then that's an average of 1513 points a DAY, and I can only manage about 30-40 in one match!
The other game I've just got into online is Steel Battalion: Line of Contact. Not much to say about this one except that the players are GOOD, and XBox live is quite fun, being able to talk to everyone makes you feel like a nice cosy family or something like that. Top stuff, that one.



No comments:
Post a Comment