I'm back in the city again after a week at home on the isle of Anglesey. Anglesey is quite remote, when I lived there before university, I considered it to be quite quiet. Having been here in Leicester for two years now, I can safely say nothing happens back home.
And so amid the rolling hills, forests, rivers, mountains, run-down communities and Welsh chavs, the only things of interest were my old school buddies.
I'm at university, heading for the games industry, drawing like it's nobody's business and really enjoying everything, so naturally I was eager to find out how they were all doing, hoping they were having a good time too.
But unfortunately...
Before I go on, I must mention that I'm so glad I've moved from the island and come to Leicester, because apart from the lack of scenery, it's superior in almost every way. Going somewhere far away to university changes your life, I can promise you that. I've gained so much experience and memories from being here, being somewhere new and exciting. I have no car, no bike, and am therefore trapped in the 2 mile diameter 'bubble' of Leicester town center and DMU. In this two-mile bubble, I have had more adventure than I did in 15 years on Anglesey.
Not that I hate Anglesey or anything; it's picturesque, safe, and a lovely atmosphere in which to grow up, or at least it was for me. I say nothing happens, but the quietness isn't necessarily a bad thing by itself. I do like the place really; it's my home don'tcha know!
My old buddies at home, or at least the vast majority of them (All except about 3, actually), haven't gone anywhere. They haven't left the area, they haven't pushed their horizons or explored new places. They've enrolled in a standard course at the local university (Bangor), or just got a job, and are living a life that's just 'the thing you do after school'.
This is fine and all, people can do whatever they want to do, and their decisions are theirs to make, but I know these people, damn it! There's an aura of misery, and it's really quite alarming. Considering how spirited the Game Art course is (Well, more or less), it's disheartening to see old friends not pushing the boundaries a bit. It's as if because they've lived in a remote location all their lives, they don't know how much better they could have things.
It's understandable that sometimes going far away just isn't possible, especially due to financial issues, and some people really don't want to, but these are boys and girls who really could have gone wherever they wanted and done whatever with their lives. It's the lack of ambition that surprises me; they could be having such a good time, but they're not. I wonder if my coursemates find this about their friends at home, or whether this is just something to do with remote 'ole Anglesey.
But that's not all!
You could call me a dick for just generalizing and saying Whoah I'm having an awesome time, baby. You guys are so miserable, should have moved out, ha ha! But far from gloating, I just feel bad for 'em.
The thing that shocked me the most about some of my friends back home?
TEENAGE PREGNANCY.
MARRIAGE.
Yes, boys and girls I was in school with not two years ago. A good few* are now pregnant, and some are even married!
Don't get me wrong, marriage, even at 19 is absolutely fine, as is pregnancy, so long as you can cope with everything. I'm just saying this as not to cause an enormous flame war if some angry person stumbles in here one day. Unfortunately, you just know when somebody your friends with can cope, and when they can't, and, well...
I like to believe in a 'free period' of one's life, where you can travel the world, do something interesting, write an epic poem, do something, anything before having to resign yourself to a career. That's sort of how I see university, so I feel quite comfortable.
But surely getting married and having a child straight out of school locks you into a permanent commitment. Any plans you had to go around the world, live somewhere far-out, do something grand or even to get your ideal job are going to take a massive hit. In fact, it might destroy these plans entirely.
What, then, do you feel if you see your old school friends who are your age? When you see them go traveling in far-off places, enjoying their work, becoming successful and really enjoying their jobs, making the most of their opportunities, when you have none yourself?
It's the difference between making your commitment and scrapping all of your ambitions in life, or accomplishing your ambitions, then making the commitment when the time is right for you.
Understandably, some people have no ambitions (Actually I don't find this understandable at all). But it makes me sad to see them unhappy... I just hope they know they're doing the right thing. If they are, then more power to 'em. Otherwise... good luck to them.
*Only the girls though, I think.
TL;DR: People should fulfill their ambitions in life before getting hitched and producing a screaming human larvae.
P.S: I completed MGS4!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment