Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Final Blog of Year 1

Well here we are at the end of the first year, and it's been quite a ride.

I think this has been the best academic year of my life. Between moving out and social things, the university course has definitely been an excellent thing.

I've learned an awful lot in these six-or-so months. Before we started, 3DSMax was an alien concept to me. Despite doing the tutorials, I had no idea how to actually construct something that looks acceptable. Through a ton of practice and help along the way, I've improved quite a bit.



Well, it's a start...

The course has been very good on the whole. There have been areas in which I've struggled a bit, mainly 2D art, which is entirely something that I need to overcome myself. In other words, I just need to continue to do more work. Even so, my drawing style has improved no end surrounded by like-minded classmates and supportive staff.


This is something I truly enjoy doing. I often get a sense of real fun while creating a 3D model; it's the same feeling playing with Lego back as a little kid, thinking something over in order to find how to model it faithfully. It's so easy to craft a grey virtual cube into something quite wonderous. Certainly, it's been tough, but it's a very nice challenge that I've enjoyed.

Now to paint a texture...

I'm confident that the course will continue to challenge and amuse throughout the next two years. It's been excellent, the mix of students is more than I could have asked for, and the staff are friendly but also have some very good things to say a lot of the time. Another especially good point is that it's close-knit, it's like one big happy family. Aww...

Additionally, it really seems as if the industry is waiting for us after this. We're lucky to be allied with some nice games companies, one of which has expressed an interest in my work already, which is quite extraordinary.

The only point I've heard mentioned is that the course might not be 'moving' fast enough to make us good enough by the end - but this has now been resolved, as open-ended projects are starting from next year. Art is all about self-improvement, so if you want to be good, you'll practice in your own time. An open-ended project allows for this, so in other words the end result will be as good as we make it.

So all in all, I have no complaints at all. I'm having a great time, and am putting the work in to improve myself all the while.

No comments: